My Ruby on Rails dev environment
My dev environment for Ruby is currently this:
1. Windows Vista. I’m probably the only developer who likes Vista, but actually it behaved without problems for me from the start.
2. Ruby 1.8 + Rails 2.3.2.
3. sqlite3 – More than enough for the development purposes
1. cmd window 1 – Web Server (ruby script/server). Usually runs in the background, but sometimes useful to see the database queries, no need to open the log.
2. cmd window 2 – Rails project directory. There I can quickly run Rails command-line commands, edit some text files, etc.
3. cmd window 3 – sqlite3.exe (dbconsole) for quick check ups on the data
4. Google Chrome browser – much faster than IE and the ever-bloated Mozilla.
5. E-texteditor. A “clone” of Mac’s favorite textmate. My version is a bit buggy and crashes if you try to write macros, plus I am not using bundles at all, but it still is the most pleasant way to write RoR code (an alternative was Aptana Studio, but when it crashed without any notice I decided against using it).
Entry filed under: Uncategorized.